Your CBE Contact:

Paulina Johnson
Undergraduate Coordinator

Helpful Links:

Undergraduate Degree Requirements

CBE Courses

CBE Virtual Libarary

Undergraduate Research

Undergraduate FAQ


Undergraduate FAQ

Click on the question below to learn the answer.


What is a Technical Elective?


A Technical Elective is a Math, Natural Science, or Engineering course found as acceptable in the Engineering Handbook. See the links below to review the acceptable courses:



Can I use AP credit to count toward my Chemistry 101 requirement?
Yes, but the CBE department strongly encourages taking the Penn Placement Exam or taking CHEM 101 in lieu of using CHEM AP credit for CHEM 101. (***see next question***)



Why does the CBE Department strongly encourage taking either the Penn Placement Exam or CHEM 101 rather then using my CHEM AP Credit?


When awarded AP credit for Chemistry it is numbered CHEM 091- not CHEM 101 (they are not the same). The CBE department is one of a few departments that allow CHEM 091 in lieu of CHEM 101. Please note:

  • Pre-med students will not get credit for using CHEM 091 (they MUST either take CHEM 101 or place out using the Penn Placement Exam)
  • If a student decides to change majors, this may leave them in a precarious situation for the future (since CBE is one of the only departments that accepts CHEM 091 in lieu of CHEM 101)
  • If a student decides to obtain a Laboratory Waiver(s) they will be denied without having taken CHEM 101 or taking the Penn Placement Exam.
  • Taking the Chemistry Penn Placement Exam will also help a student gauge where they stand when it comes to covering college-level chemistry


What is a Social Science, Humanities or TBS course?




Where can I find the complete description of the academic rules and regulations for the School of Engineering and Applied Science?
These can all be found in the SEAS Undergraduate Student Handbook.