Click on the question below to learn the answer.
A Technical Elective is a Math, Natural Science, or Engineering course found as acceptable in the Engineering Handbook. See the links below to review the acceptable courses:
- Courses satisfying the MATH technical elective
- Courses satisfying the NATURAL SCIENCE technical elective
- Courses satisfying the ENGINEERING technical elective
- Please note the listed courses on this page that DO NOT COUNT toward this requirement!
When awarded AP credit for Chemistry it is numbered CHEM 091- not CHEM 101 (they are not the same). The CBE department is one of a few departments that allow CHEM 091 in lieu of CHEM 101. Please note:
- Pre-med students will not get credit for using CHEM 091 (they MUST either take CHEM 101 or place out using the Penn Placement Exam)
- If a student decides to change majors, this may leave them in a precarious situation for the future (since CBE is one of the only departments that accepts CHEM 091 in lieu of CHEM 101)
- If a student decides to obtain a Laboratory Waiver(s) they will be denied without having taken CHEM 101 or taking the Penn Placement Exam.
- Taking the Chemistry Penn Placement Exam will also help a student gauge where they stand when it comes to covering college-level chemistry